A great finger food recipe is always good to have in the back of your mind and in front of your recipe book! When it’s time to party, this particular recipe is my go to – Sweet Pork Mini Chimichangas. Sweet, salty, and oh so extra cheesy, these are so easy to pop into your mouth over and over and over again. Pop, pop, pop! I’ve noticed they don’t last long, so plan on making a bunch. They certainly keep guests coming back for more.
Superbowl! What better time is there to serve your favorite finger foods? This Sunday is the big game. I’m not into football, I don’t follow it much, but I’m into having a good party with great food! It’s such a fun reason to gather with friends and family whether your team made it or not. Not into football like me? Well, the commercials are always great! I tend to stick around and pay attention to them while I’m snacking away!
Some may just like the football and others just the commercials, but I think everyone can agree that half of all the excitement is for the game day menu!
It’s an excuse to relax, have fun and eat fun little finger foods (if you’re not one of those on the edge of their seat the whole time)!
At my party, food is everywhere. It’s on the kitchen counter, coffee table, end tables, in the living room, in the dining room, bedrooms, and with kids…on the floor, but it’s not just any food, it’s delicious, fun, poppable, I can’t stop eating, food! Never a good time for my waist!
When I thought up these mini sweet pork chimichangas, they instantly sounded amazing and I wanted to make them right away! So, I thought things through, made my list, and bought all my ingredients. I am no chef, but my sister and husband both went to culinary school and I’d like to think it has rubbed off on me, a little bit at least…I hope! My sister certainly approved of them!
I started with my ingredient list. I knew I wanted flour tortillas filled with refried beans, cheese and sweet pork.
The star of my creation is sweet pork. For this, I bought a pork tenderloin. I used a small Dutch oven to cook it, but you could easily use a roasting pan or crockpot as well. I placed my pork in the pot and filled the it up with water, so about half of the pork was covered, and a cup of brown sugar. I mixed it up a bit and then added salt, garlic power and cumin. That’s it! Easy! Place it in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 2-3 hours or until fork tender and it pulls apart easily. While it’s cooking, work on your sauce for the pork. Combine one can of red enchilada sauce and one cup of brown sugar in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. This will ensure the sugar dissolves all the way. After the pork is done, take it out of the oven, place on a cutting board, and start pulling it apart with a fork. Place into clean bowl and add your sauce in and stir. Depending on how saucy you want it, feel free to add some of the cooking liquid to it. Your sweet pork is now ready!
It’s time for assembly. I started with 6 inch tortillas and filled them with refried beans, my sweet pork and cheese. That’s it! I then rolled them up and stuck a toothpick in them to make sure they would not come undone in the frying process.
I then heated a small pot of canola oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for frying. Slowly place your chimichanga into the oil and fry until you achieve a deep golden brown color and the tortilla is crunchy goodness!
Cool a bit and serve immediately with your favorite condiments. Maybe dip into some sour cream, salsa, or guacamole to add some zesty flavor to these delicious masterpieces.
The sweet pork takes the bulk of your time, but if you can make it ahead of time, the rest of the process is a breeze.
The very last and most important part, of course, was tasting these sweet creations! They were delightfully flaky and the mixture of the sweet pork, refried beans and the cheese complimented each other so well. This is not just a recipe for Super Bowl. They’re for any and every party! Want them for dinner? Make them larger! They’re so customizable! So get cookin’! I know I’ll be making these quite a bit!
Find what you need to make these here!
Sweet Pork Mini Chimichangas
Sweet, salty, extra cheesy mini Chimichangas that are great for any gathering.
- 1 1/2 Pounds Pork Tenderloin
- 2 Cups Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground black pepper
- 1 Can Red enchilada sauce 8 oz.
- 1 Can Refried beans
- 8 Oz. Monterey Jack cheese
- 18 Each 6” tortillas
1. Place pork tenderloin into Dutch oven or place into crockpot. Cover with salt, pepper, cumin and garlic powder.
2. Add water so it covers a little more than half of the pork tenderloin. Add 1 cup of the brown sugar to water.
3. Place into 350 degree oven for about 2-3 hours or until fork tender. Keep an eye on the water. Make sure it doesn’t turn into syrup. Add water as needed during cooking process.
4. Take pork out of cooking liquid and pull apart. Place into clean bowl. Set aside.
5. Add red enchilada sauce and the other cup of brown sugar to a medium sauce pot. Bring to a simmer until sugar is melted completely.
6. Take off heat and add to the pork. Toss around so Pork is evenly coated.
1. Take a flour tortilla and fill with about a tablespoon of refried beans, a couple tablespoons of cheese and and 2-3 tablespoons of the sweet pork. Roll tightly, tucking in the sides. Place a toothpick through the middle to hold everything in place.
2. Heat oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and gently place Chimichanga into oil. Fry until tortilla is golden brown.
3. Take out of oil and allow to drain and cool a bit. Immediately serve with your favorite condiments.
658 total views, 2 views today